The outdoor life is the real life. It connects you to yourself and to all of nature. The wilderness, the greenery, the outdoors, its what makes up our wonderful planet. If you love to play any sport, travel, hike or do anything with the great outdoors, you will love what we have for you here.
Whatever your interest, we have guides, products, reviews, insights, and inspirational articles here. So, have a look around, explore and experience. This website, and the great American Outdoors!
BEST HOVERBOARD TO BUY
CHOOSE TYPE OF HOVERBOARD
OR CHOOSE BUDGET
SwagTron T6 and other off-road hoverboards
Hey we were featured on SwagTron.com!
Selected electric hoverboards, e-cycles, electric skateboards!
SWAGGER - WORLD’S LIGHTEST CARBON FIBER POWERED ELECTRIC SCOOTER BY SWAGTRON
This best-in-class electric scooter is easily one of the best in the world right now. Uses all the SwagTron amazing tech and then some more.
Read review here! Its main highlights are:
Ultra strong scooter frame handles up to 250 lbs - so great for kids and adults! • UL 2272 certified and goes up to 15 miles on a single charge - charging time is just 1.5 hours • The Swagger's display is back-lit and has a speedometer, odometer, battery management • Convenient built-in cruise control that means - simple speed controls and comfortable easy riding • Stylish and modern designs, sleek and cool looks - Ultra Lightweight carbon fiber make - weighs just 15lbs • Easy storage and transportation with collapsible frame and removable handles • A super useful 3 gearing levels - delivering precise speed control
Get your Swagger with a special Black Friday/Holidays discount - click here!
HOW TO BUY THE SAFEST AND BEST HOVERBOARD
The US Govt. agency, Consumer Products Safety Commission (CPSC), announced early in 2016 that only UL 2272 certified hoverboards are safe and can be legally sold in the US. Today all hoverboards sold on Amazon.com are UL2272 certified. IMPORTANT: BUY ONLY UL 2272 hoverboards else there is a danger of fire.
Although all of them are all UL 2272 self balancing scooters listed on Amazon, but the SwagTrons are the world's only electric scooters to have passed the UL 10-ton battery crush test thanks to the patented Sentry Shield Battery System. The SwagTrons were also the world's first UL 2272 certified two-wheel self balancing hoverboards.
Sentry Shield Battery System
UL 2272 Testing Video
BEST HOVERBOARD TO BUY 2019
7 vital tips for buying a good safe hoverboard or mini segway
1. If you want a guaranteed safe hoverboard, make sure it is UL 2272 approved – best UL 2272 approved hoverboards
2. If you want to be certain about the 30 day return policy, buy from Amazon.com - best hoverboards to buy
3. If you want good customer service, make sure the Hoverboard Brand has an office in the United States
4. If you are a first timer, make sure the hoverboard has a learner mode and it reduces the maximum speed and footpad sensitivity
5. If you want to ride the hoverboard on rough surfaces too, like grass and uneven ground, buy a 10 inch wheel hoverboard - best 10 inch wheel hoverboard
6. If you want clear hoverboard specifications and instructions, make sure they come with a proper instruction booklet
7. If you want to ensure complete safety while riding make sure your weight and age are appropriate by the hoverboard - most hoverboards support a maximum of around 100 to 120 kgs rider weight and require a minimum of 20 kgs rider weight, the recommended riding age is above 12 without supervision and 8 years to 12 years with parental supervision (a child below 8 years may not be able to properly assess and control the sensitive footpads of the hoverboards).
We hope these 7 tips help you to choose the right hoverboard for yourself or for your child.
30 Hoverboard SAFETY & BUYING TIPS to make your hoverboarding experience awesome
- First and foremost make sure it is a UL 2272 certified hoverboard.
- It is highly advised to check that the hoverboard has a branded battery like Samsung or LG.
- The larger the wheel size, the more stable the hoverboard, so try to choose one with 8 inches plus wheel size.
- Check if they will ship it from the US or from China. If they ship it from the US, you will get it much faster.
- Read up about the specifications and make sure the hoverboard will support your weight.
- Try and buy it from Amazon as they have a strict quality and safety certifications policy, and Amazon has stopped low quality hoverboards from being listed on their site. Please note that currently Amazon is not selling any hoverboards, so an equally safe and reliable option would be to buy from the Swagway website.
- Buying it from Amazon will also ensure that a defective product can be returned as per Amazon’s policies.
- Try to choose a hoverboard that has a low battery indicator and better still that slows down automatically when the battery is low. A rider can be thrown off if the battery suddenly dies while the hoverboard is in use. This is a standard feature in most hoverboards, but there is no harm to be sure.
- Ensure that he charger unit has proper safety certifications, as most cases of fire in hoverboards is because of overcharging. You will find some good hoverboard chargers here.
- Try to find out if the hoverboard automatically cuts off charging when the battery is fully charged and whether it gives a clear indication of it or not.
- Use protective strips on the wheel covers of the hoverboard as it gets scratched and damaged the most. You can check out some good hoverboard bumper protectors here.
- When getting off the hoverboard, don’t jump off or get off quickly, this may cause you to fall and will also cause damage to the hoverboard as it will roll several times before coming to a stop. The right way to get off is to make the hoverboard stationary and then casually step off.
- When you are using the hoverboard for the first time, then try it out on short cut grass or a carpet so that you do not get hurt in case of a fall.
- It is advised that you wear a helmet, knee pads and elbow guards when you are using the hoverboard the first few times, to avoid any kind of injury. Choose from the top hoverboard safety helmets here.
- To get on the hoverboard for the first time, keep these points in mind – (i) Place your dominant foot first ii) Lightly step on to it with the other foot, and at first stand calmly and quite still (iii) If someone is standing near you, take their support to get on and get off (iv) Try to only keep your balance and the hoverboard almost stationary in your first few attempts (v) If there is a beginner mode in the hoverboard, put it on (vi) Once you get used to standing still on the hoverboard, gently lean forward, and the hoverboard will move forward (vii) Remember to only slightly lean in the direction that you want to go to, that is enough (viii) Do not make any hard or sudden position changes, just lean in the direction you want to go towards (ix) Let the hoverboard do most of the work, and you will get a hang of it (x) Learn to slow it down and make it stop before taking it out (xi) The hardest part is getting on and getting off, practice that the most (xii) After some time it will become quite intuitive and easy. Here is a detailed guide about how to ride the hoverboard, including diagrams.
- Try to avoid hoverboards that do not have clear branding, and only large text saying something like ‘Smart Balance Wheels’ or ‘Smart Balance Board’, and the instructions booklet is poorly written and designed with unclear instructions
- Hoverboards with LED lights are more visible in the night to cars and other commuters, and therefore preferable.
- The body of the hoverboard is easily scratched, so it is advised to use protective coverings, decals etc., which are easily available on Amazon and ebay. You can also use rubber bumper protectors for your new hoverboard. Check out the best hoverboard accessories here.
- Keep the hoverboard switched off when charging
- It is a good idea to touch the hoverboard and check if it is heating up when charging
- Do not leave the hoverboard for charging overnight or when you are away, charge it when you are awake and can check on it often, to stop it when the battery gets fully charged
- Make sure that there is no legislation in your area concerning battery operated scooters. You are not allowed to use a hoverboard in New York city if its maximum speed is more than 15 miles per hour. California is about to amend its transport laws to allow hoverboards to be used in sidewalks and cycling paths.
- Though your hoverboard can withstand a splash, it is not waterproof, as most have a waterproof rating of IP54. So stay away from places where there is water or using it outdoors when it is raining. Some high-end hoverboards are waterproof and that should be clearly checked with the manufacturer.
- Ensure that the hoverboard you are buying has all required quality and safety certifications, especially from Underwriters Laboratories. Certifications to check for are – UN 38.3 (battery), UL 1642 (battery), and UL 60950-1 (charger), FCC, RoHS, CE. The US Govt. agency CPSC (Consumer Products Safety Commission) has stated that all hoverboards must be UL 2272 certified to be sold in the US. You can read about UL 2272 here.
- The hoverboards are susceptible to hot and cold temperatures so it is advised to keep it in a moderate temperature area when charging
- The hoverboard uses lithium-ion batteries, the same batteries that are found in our cellphones. These lithinum-ion batteries can puncture, overheat or explode if they suffer an impact. So, if while riding, your hoverboard hits something or crashes into anything, just observe it carefully for some time to ensure that nothing has gone wrong with the battery, and only then get back on to it. In fact, don’t drop it, kick it, or hit sharp objects with it, as although highly unlikely, it could damage the separator sheets in the battery pack and cause a fire.
- If you are planning to go off road with your hoverboard choose one with a bigger wheel size, 8 inches or 10 inches, as these larger wheels can handle uneven surface and bumps better.
- If your hoverboard has smaller wheels, around 6 inches, then it is advisable to ride slowly over uneven surfaces, especially if there is a chance of the wheel coming off the ground at a higher speed, and then pitching the rider forward when it regains contact with the ground. This could happen if you are riding over a cobbled pavement or walkway. Thus, hoverboard users should ride slowly over uneven surfaces, even at walking pace, to ensure that they stay balanced and safe.
- If you have bought a hoverboard online and on receiving it found out that is clearly not safe and is of a low quality, then you should be able to return it within a period of 14 days. All online sales are usually covered by the Consumer Contracts Regulations, and as per law, from the moment that you made the purchase until 14 days after you receive your item, you are eligible for a full refund. You will need to contact the seller within this 14 day period and ask for a refund, preferable with emails which have been safely stored in your mail box. If you aren't able to return it then you may want to buy a fire-proof hoverboard charging bag, which you will find in the Top 10 Best Hoverboard Bags list here.
- Consider getting an external warranty plan, so that your money is safe if the hoverboard goes kaput. You will find the Top 5 Hoverboard Extended Protection Plans here. Also if your hoverboard doesn’t come from a reputable vendor, purchase an external universal charger to use in place of the one provided with the hoverboard.