Pitch your tent on the beach. There's no better way to enjoy life...You may want…
Getting a good night’s sleep is not so simple when you go hiking in the great outdoors. Whether you are hiking on a mountain trail or discovering the innards of an exotic countryside, after a day’s hiking, it is not very easy to fall asleep unless your sleeping system is good.
Your sleep out in the wilderness depends on two main factors, comfort and warmth. For both of these, your sleeping pad plays a major role. The sleeping pad is the main barrier between the ground and you, and it not only provides you with a comfortable surface to sleep on but also keeps you warm by insulating you from the cold that emanates from the ground.
The sleeping pad industry has moved and advanced quite a bit in the last few years, and from the simple sheet of foam, it has evolved into air filled foam, self-inflating pads and pads which need to be filled with air manually.
There are three main types of sleeping pads, the closed cell foam sleeping pad, self-inflating sleeping pads and the air-filled sleeping pads.
Foam closed cell sleeping pads
The cheapest and most basic sleeping pad is the foam one. This sleeping pad has closed air cells inside the foam that prevent the ground from pulling away the warmth from your body. The simple fact is that the convection properties of the ground actually zap away all the heat from your body. If the ground is cold, then you need a layer of insulation between you and the ground for your safety. At first it does not seem very apparent that you need this for your safety, but the basic fact is that eh ground has convection properties that pull away the heat from your body. When you sleep, any way your body temperature drops, so it is very important that you take proper steps to keep yourself warm when sleeping in the outdoors.
The closed cell foam pads are the lowest in cost and are usually less than half and inch in thickness. They are the best choice if your hiking and camping destination is not cold. A great plus about closed cell foam pads is that they are very durable and tough. While air filled and self inflating pads can get punctured and damaged, these foam mattresses are very tough and virtually indestructable.
Self-inflating Sleeping Pads
The self-inflating sleeping pads have a layer of foam with open cells in between two layers of fabric. Though it sounds very high tech, the self inflating sleeping mat is actually quite a simple mechanism. The layer of foam inside the air tight fabric cover has little open cells of air in it. When it is rolled up, all the air is pushed out and the mat becomes very compressed and the air sacks literally turn into a vacuum. When the mat is unrolled and the valve is opened, by its own natural properties, the air cells in the foam start to open up and pull in air into the vacuum that gets created. This inflates the self-inflating sleeping pad. You have to seal the valve so that the filled up air does not escape, and your sleeping pad is ready to sleep on. These pads are much more comfortable than foam pads, and also have higher insulation and heat preserving properties.
The only thing is that you might want to make the pad firmer or softer as per your sleeping preferences. To do that you can let some air out by pressing on the pad and then closing the valve. If you want more air in the sleeping mat then you need to fill in air with a pump or your mouth. Filling in air with the mouth is not a good option as it allows bacteria and moisture to enter into the air cells. The moisture and bacteria over a period of time can spoil the sleeping pad. The build of moisture and bacteria could cause mold inside and also make the insulating properties ineffective. There are self-inflating sleeping pads of different thicknesses and shapes, so you can actually get one to your liking which will not require and adjustments at all. Another point to keep in mind is that they can get punctured and damages, however repairs are pretty easy with a repair kit at hand.
Air filled sleeping pads
The air sleeping pads are lightweight, fold to a very small size and deliver the maximum comfort. These air filled pads come in different thicknesses, and need to be inflated either with your mouth or with an air pump. They are at least 3 to 4 inches thick and make for the most comfortable sleeping surfaces. They are also very good insulators from the cold of the ground, keeping you warm and protected.
They take a little more time and effort to set up than self inflatable ones, but are a better choice for better sleep. Their only cons are that they can get damaged and punctured by sharp objects, cacti etc. but repairs are pretty easy and simple with a repair kit. Most of the air filled pads come with their own repair kit, so that should not be a problem.
Air filled sleeping pads keep your body heat insulated from the ground most effectively and also neutralize the effects of uneven or uncomfortable ground. We find this kind of sleeping pads to be the best.
Sleeping pads for colder places
If the place where you will set up camp or the region where you are hiking is cold, then you need to carefully think about your sleeping pad. Every sleeping pad comes with a value called the R-value, which defines the insulation and therefore the warmth properties of the sleeping pad.
For regular places an R-value of about 3 is fine, and if the climate is warm then even a 1 will do, as in the closed cell foam pads. However, if it is cold and you are also planning to set camp in snow covered areas, then your R-value needs to be higher. A minimum R-value of a 4 is required if it is going to eb cold. As the cold gets more severe, you need to up the R-value accordingly.
A great tip from experienced hikers is that for colder regions you should combine different sleeping pads. Combining a closed cell foam pad with an R-value of 2 with an air filled one with an R-value of 4 will give you a combined R-value of 6, which will keep you properly insulated even on very cold ground.
The R-value goes from 1 to 11, where 11 is super insulated.
Top 10 best sleeping pads you can buy today
This list of sleeping below features the latest top selling sleeping pads of today. If you find a sleeping pad that fits your needs, you will do well to choose one of these top 10 best sellers.
If you love to be out there in the great wide open, you will love the Top 10 best sleeping pads, so make your choice and head out already!
1. Sleepingo Camping Sleeping Pad
- 2" THICK SLEEP SUPPORT! YOU WILL LOVE THIS SLEEPING PAD! Want to sleep comfortably anywhere? No need to suffer with a cheap flimsy short outdoor sleeping pad! This quality portable camping mat pad is perfect. Super sturdy and extremely comfortable. Great for any sleep position.
- WEIGHS ONLY [14.5 OZ] AND PACKS DOWN TO THE SIZE OF THIN WATER BOTTLE - PERFECT FOR A BACKPACKING SLEEPING PAD! No worrying about room in your backpack No backaches due to heavy weight very convenient to carry. You’ll wish you found this years ago Comes with a sleek storage pouch.
- THIS TOUGH DURABLE LARGE COMFY SLEEPING PAD FEATURES A LIFETIME WARRANTY! - Economically and practically efficient With an impressive size blown up of 75 X 23 this camping mattress pad, will give you the comfort you need.
- TEAR RESISTANT - HEAVY DUTY RIPSTOP NYLON FABRIC – This lightweight sleeping pad is made of super strong waterproof and camping grade ripstop nylon fabric With a impressive 20 denier thickness used only for the strongest camping equipment designed to last a lifetime in the most severe conditions.
- HASSLE-FREE LIFETIME REPLACEMENT - NO NEED TO RETURN! We take pride in our perfect customer service record on Amazon, and we promise to treat you like family - even for gifts! In addition to our lifetime replacement, if you aren't happy with your purchase, we will simply refund your money - no questions asked - just let the reviews speak for themselves!
2. Outdoorsman Lab Camping Sleeping Pad
- ULTRA-LIGHTWEIGHT CAMPING PAD: Weighs only 16 oz making it the perfect sleeping pad for camping & addition to your backpacking gear. 73x21.6x2.2” our large camping pad fits all types of sleeping bags. Inflates/Deflates quickly, rolls up to 8x3x3”
- PATENTED SLEEPING BAG PAD TECHNOLOGY: Our camping mat has a patented design. The individual & interconnected smooth air cells self-adjust to conform to your body shape to provide you with optimal comfort, support and 4-season warmth (R-value 2.2)
- BUILT TO LAST: Our durable 2.2” thick camping mattress is made of lightweight, flexible, abrasion-resistant nylon. The high-quality material used for our sleeping mat is water and rip resistant ensuring you a stress-free, comfortable sleep
- EASY INFLATION & DEFLATION: Our camping air mattress has an easy-to-use air valve for quick inflation (10-15 breathes). A few more breathes provides extra firmness & support. Your camping accessories are incomplete without this camping sleeping pad
- USA BASED FAMILY OWNED BUSINESS: Our 100% SATISFACTION PROMISE to YOU. No false claims-No Fake Reviews! We will respond in less than 24 hrs. We offer a 30-DAY NO QUESTIONS ASKED REFUND. FREE REPLACEMENT if DEFECTIVE and NO RETURN NEEDED
3. WELLAX Ultralight Air Sleeping Pad
- Nylon / TPU Coating
- WELLAX COMFORT PLUS SLEEPING PAD provides the optimal Comfort and Warmth your body needs for getting a good night's rest. Your weight is supported by dozens of flexing air cells just like a pocket sprung mattress. Roll over or sleep on your side on a WellaX Camping Mat and you won't wobble or bottom out. NO MORE Back-pain or annoying Discomfort from rocky terrain or bumps underneath!
- COMPACT and LIGHTWEIGHT: the ultralight WellaX Sleeping Mat has a single layer of Air Cells to give you the lightest (ONLY 14.5 Oz) and smallest packed-volume mat (10”x3.5”) without compromising comfort. The lighter your backpack, the more comfortable your hiking trips will be. Inflated size is 78” x24” x2.5”, perfect for any outdoor activity like backpacking, traveling or camping
- REVOLUTIONARY DESIGN: Laminated 20D Rip-stop Nylon and the TPU Layer provides a good balance between low weight and durability. It is virtually silent, waterproof, abrasion / tear resistant and reflects back radiant heat to the sleeper. No more crinkly or squeaky noise, your perfect pad for using in your tent, in/under your sleeping bag, in your hammock, or any floor or hard surface
- EASY TO INFLATE AND DEFLATE: Advanced inflation technology features 2 flat valves: 1 for inflation and 1 for deflation, making it quicker to inflate (only 4-6 breaths) or deflate. Say goodbye to your old sleeping pad that required either a pump or lots of breaths and effort to inflate. The PATENT PENDING WellaX Sleeping Pad has a R-value of 2.1, making it the perfect 3 season mat
- NO RISK PURCHASE. Making you a happy customer is our main goal. Just try it, and if you don't absolutely Love it, send us a message and we will Refund or Replace your Purchase, NO QUESTIONS ASKED !
4. OlarHike Camping Sleeping Pad
- EASY TO INFLATE & DEFLATE : Are you tired of inflating your sleeping pad with your mouth? We use an innovative rear inflatable bag that can be inflated by hand in less than two minutes so that you don't need to get dizzy or carry inflatable tools. Deflating is also very easy - just open the valve and let the air come out on its own, as you fold it.
- FRIENDLY TO ANY SLEEPING POSTURE : Whether you are lying on your back, front or side, this sleeping pad provides support for any sleeping posture, giving you the most comfortable and restful experience. A unique honeycomb airbag design with a thickness of 2.5" distributes your weight with cushioning and warmth for your back/shoulder/hip to block the hard and cold floor.
- BEST CAMPING EQUIPMENT : Made of 40D rip-stop nylon that is super waterproof, TPU coated and environmentally friendly, the OlarHike Sleeping Pad can be used in very severe conditions and is the best equipment for a camping trip. It will not slip out from under you while tossing and turning and it will not generate noise from movement in the night.
- COMPACT AND LIGHTWEIGHT : This mat is unbelievably easy to carry around, weighing only 21.16 oz and packing down to the size of a water bottle! Don't worry any longer about carrying heavy weight or taking up valuable space in your backpack. With an inflated size of 75" x 23" x 2.5" and strength to hold up to 330 lb, this is a perfect travel item to take backpacking, hiking or camping.
- 2-YEAR MANUFACTURER WARRANTY : Our sleeping pad comes with a 2-Year Return & Refund Warranty and Lifetime After Sales Services; If you feel there are any problems with quality, a free replacement will be provided, without you needing to return the original.
5. ZOOOBELIVES Extra Thickness Inflatable Sleeping Pad
- * 4" THICK FOR MAXIMUM COMFORT in this premium inflating camping sleeping pad. You get a very comfy extra thick 4 inch of air padding that protects from rough ground, hard floors, and cold conditions. Providing a true 4-season pad with an estimated R-value of 4. Get a great night's sleep anywhere at any time. Measures 74" x 24" x 4" fully inflated.
- * FAST INFLATABLE DESIGN with Built-in Air Pump. Simply stomp or hand press to inflate. Much easier than blowing it up with your breath or another pump, no batteries needed. And the outtake valve has the double-decked design, one is for inflating or slow release of air (for adjusting the firm you like), and the 2nd is for quick deflation.
- * RUGGED LONG-LASTING 75D Polyester pongee fabric with extruded PVC lamination. This is the most durable fabric around used for military parachutes. It's waterproof and warm which will protect you from the wet ground in the most extreme conditions. This sleeping mat will be a perfect match for your tent, sleeping bag, and camping cot.
- * ALTERNATIVE USE This camping mat folds up to a compact 6" x 6" x 14" just right to fit into a backpack or suitcase. Essential for backpacking, camping, car traveling, hunting, emergencies, guests, etc. Even can be used as a floating mattress for great fun in summer! The Snaps also allow you to connect pads together to create the double camping pads, which provides more room to stretch out.
- . * 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE ensures this will quickly become your favorite no-risk purchase. Many people are stocking up with several of these to outfit the entire family or share with friends. We committed 90-Days Money Back Guarantee / 2-Year Warranty / Life Time Support, a perfect gift for yourself and your loved ones.
6. POWERLIX Sleeping Pad
- REJUVENATE YOUR BODY: Our revolutionary hexagon design is made special with body mapping technology. The hexagon air cells ergonomically support all of your pressure points, giving you superior support and comfort all night long, no matter how you sleep! The mat is also a camping luxury, being comfortable yet lightweight. It rolls up small, making it effortless to carry around. The pads come with a 2-color design, with 3 combination choices. Just roll the cot over to enjoy the other color.
- LIVE YOUR LIFE TO THE FULLEST: It's time to plan a trip! The camp mat cannot be easier to inflate than with our inflating bag. It has a dual action, non-leak air valve, to inflate and deflate the mattress. Being light & small when packed, it won't cause backaches from its weight, and it fits easily in your backpack. Being insulated, it's perfect for the best night of sleep during any type of adventure, whether it be hiking, camping, backpacking, and more, in any weather!
- UNIQUE EVERLASTING DURABILITY: It's the mat of all mats! The Sleeping Pad is made of durable, outdoor grade materials, such as 75D nylon. It includes thermal insulation, to keep your body warm from the cold winter ground. It is 100% waterproof, making it perfect for any outdoor activities. You can say goodbye to sore backs and other discomforts normally left by bumps and rocks underneath the floor of your tent!
- EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR OUTDOORS: This exclusive item comes with a Sleeping Pad, carry bag, 2 repair kits, and an inflating bag. A patch kit is also included, stored in a small pocket on top of the storage bag. The inflating bag was designed with you in mind, for all of your needs. In addition to inflating the mattress, it can be used for several different things, such as a pillow, a waterproof carry or laundry bag, or to carry the sleeping mat itself!
- 100% 1-YEAR GUARANTEE: PowerLix guarantees to have your back! We want you to be nothing but happy with your new, top of the line, camping bed! Our professional customer service is therefore here to do whatever it takes to guarantee your satisfaction. That's why your purchase comes backed with a 1 year warranty; anytime, any reason, no questions asked!
7. Klymit Static V Sleeping Pad
- 4 season backcountry camping pad: Lightweight insulated air mattress with Klymalite insulation to keep you warm when its cold out; R-Value of 4. 4
- Sleep comfortably all night long: Features an innovative v-chamber design and synthetic insulation which limits air movement and heat loss
- Incredibly lightweight (25 ounces) and packs small to 5 x 8 inches
- Inflated size: 72 x 23 x 2. 5 inches; 10-15 breaths. Body mapping technology- Our patented V-shaped design delivers support and comfort no matter how you sleep – on your side, stomach or back
- Includes: stuff sack and patch
8. AirExpect Camping Sleeping Pad
- 2.5" THICK SLEEP SUPPORT, SUPER COMFY - Fed up with cheap flimsy sleeping pad? AirExpect camping pad features 2.5" thick after inflation, keeping you warm by insulating the coldness from the ground. With a weight capacity of 660lb and innovative Hexagon Air Cell Design to distribute the pressure evenly, perfectly solving all your worries about “not sleeping well”, just enjoy nice warmth and coziness
- COMPACT and LIGHTWEIGHT - Give you the lightest sleeping mat without compromising any comfort. Just pack it down to the size of a thin water bottle! You don’t have to pack a pillow with our attached pillow! Always ENOUGH room! Considerate design for hiking trips or any outdoor activity like backpacking, traveling or camping. NO MORE Back-pain or annoying Discomfort from rocky terrain or bumps underneath
- ADVANCED INFLATION TECHNOLOGY - MUCH EASIER TO USE! - NO MORE inflating by mouth until your face goes green! NO MORE having to carry a pump! Just PRESS the AirExpect Built in Pump several times and voila! You’ve got your inflated pad! With anti-leakage films in the valves, you shall never worry about air leaking! Also easy to deflate - just take out the deflation plug
- HEAVY DUTY RIPSTOP, ANTI-LEAKAGE & WATERPROOF & ANTI-SKID - Made of advanced Camping- Grade heavy duty nylon which is impossible to leak air, and waterproof TPU Layer. This backpacking pad is tear resistant, puncture proof and dampproof. No squeaky noise, perfect to lay under your sleeping bag, in your hammock, or any floor or hard surface
- GET ONE MORE FOR A TWIN BED! & NO RISK PURCHASE - With buttons on its side, you can easily attach one to another sleeping pad and make it a twin bed! Just try it, and you won’t regret a thing! We offer you 2 year warranty, and 7 days/24 hours of friendly customer service. Just send us a message and we will Refund or Replace your Purchase, NO QUESTIONS ASKED !
9. Overmont Sleeping Pad
- BUILT IN PUMP: Not to blow your air mattress up by mouth anymore! Overmont camping mattress features a built-in foot pump so you can inflate your camping pad within only 3 minutes. One foot steps on the hole, the other step one step away from the hole. Repeat this and then it's done! Also we have double deflation valves which can efficiently inflate or deflate.
- EXTRA THICKNESS COMFORT: A perfect camping trip should be enjoyable in all ways so don't sleep rough just because in wild. Our camping mats take the appearance of wave surface and have increased the thickness to 4.8" to give you the comfort like home. Expanded size is 75x24", this sleeping pad is long enough to fit someone that is 6 ft tall. Great choice for everyone.
- WATERPROOF FLOATABLE: Made of high quality 80D Polyester pongee with PVC coating, Overmont camping mattress is completely waterproof and floatable so it can be a floating mattress for you to take a wonderful sun bath but definitely not a life-saving supply. Max load is up to 400lb. Each of our camping pads was brought out by special technology in pressing glue and anti-burst.
- LIGHTWEIGHT PORTABLE: Weighs only 2.6lb, and more importantly it comes with a potable packing bag. If you order Overmont camping mattress, then you will receive the pad which is well packed in a small bag (only 14x6x4". Wherever you want to go, picnic in the park, camping trips, beach bath, or home visits, this will always be comfortable to sleep on.
- QUALITY GUARANTEED: Overmont always aims to provide best products with best price and perfect service to our customers. We tried out the sleeping pad personally and it proves that this camping mattress is very durable and without any leak these days. If you have any issue, please get in touch and we will try our best to make it right.
10. Legit Camping Sleeping Pad
- YOUR NEW FAVORITE WAY TO SLEEP OUTDOORS: Love to sleep outside but hate feeling like you’re sleeping directly on the ground? Lightweight (18 Oz) and comfortable with an R-value of 1.3, Our sleeping mat takes outdoor napping to a whole new level.
- AIR SUPPORT CELLS PROVIDE EXTRA COMFORT: We tested and tested until we got the cells right. Perfectly positioned to offer you the support you need, our cells make you feel like you are sleeping on air. This allows you to set up camp wherever you want without worrying in the middle of the night about those rocks you didn’t notice.
- GROWER NOT A SHOW’ER: The cells allow the sleeping pad to pack down to 10” x 3.5” and expand to 75" x 22.5" x 2"; Meaning it can go from the size of your hand to the length of a short NBA player. Keep two in the back of your car for impromptu travel adventures or toss one in your backpack for the ultimate hike and overnight camping trip. You’ll never know it’s there until when that special night arrives.
- REALLY EASY TO INFLATE AND DEFLATE: Got 10 to 15 breaths in you? Sure you do! And that’s all you need to do to inflate this Legit sleeping mat (No pump required). Then, just open the valve to deflate. Since it is made out of 20D Rip-stop Nylon with a TPU Layer, expected deflating due to punctures small object won’t be an issue providing you with a worry free trip.
- DON’T BELIEVE US? After you click “Add to Cart” on this “Legit Sleeping Pad” search “Legit Hammock” on Amazon and read our awesome reviews. We are known for the quality of our camping gear and our customer service. If you’re not thrilled with this mat, just send it back and we’ll give you a full refund. 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE! It's the perfect gift for your mom, dad, sister or brother this coming holidays! Also the perfect gift idea as a white elephant exchange gift!
Review of Sleepingo Camping Sleeping Pad
1. Sleepingo Camping Sleeping Pad